It’s time for something sweet. I randomly chose this recipe for Crisp Chocolate Chippers, inspired by my mom’s note declaring them a family favourite for over 30 years! I was pleased to discover that:
- These are THE cookies I think of when I’m hankering for mom’s chocolate chip.
- I managed to make a gluten free version that honestly doesn’t taste any different.
Gluten free notes: Use my all-purpose GF flour blend, and dedicated GF oats.
You’ll need: 1c. butter, 1.5c brown sugar, 2 eggs, 2tsp. vanilla, 1tsp. salt, 1tsp. baking soda, 2c. flour, 2c. oats, 12oz. package of chocolate chips.
Cream butter & sugar. Add in eggs & vanilla and beat until creamy. Set aside. Whisk together dry ingredients (except oats and chocolate). Gradually add to the creamed mixture and beat well. Add oat and chocolate chips. Stir.
Drop by spoon onto greased cookie sheet. I use a medium-sized scoop for this – if you don’t have one, get one. I like uniformly-sized cookies, ya know? Bake at 375F for approximately 10 minutes. You’ll get somewhere between 2.5-3doz cookies.
An aside: I didn’t need 3 doz. cookies. We just did a church fundraiser where we bought little frozen balls of dough. I love these things, but they’re a no-go for me now. I love being able to bake just a couple cookies at a time on a little bar pan. So I made my own. Freeze scoops of dough on a wax-paper lined baking sheet, and then toss into a container and store in the freezer. Bake later, like when somebody shows up for tea unexpectedly and all you have in the fridge is a container of yogurt and some dodgy-looking sauces. 😉
You know what I like about these cookies? They stay fat. They don’t spread themselves out into a thin flimsy thing. Be on whichever side of the crisp/chewy side you like… I want mine to look like this:
The Recipe in Full:
- 1 c. butter
- 1.5 c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c. flour of your choice (regular or gluten-free blend)
- 2 c. oats
- 12oz package of chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Separately, whisk together baking soda, flour, and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Drop by spoonful, or medium-scoop, onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375F for approximately 10min.