Do people learn things like a basic white sauce anymore? I never did in my Foods classes at school, but I did grow up loving this cheese sauce, which I probably haven’t had for years. Today was the day – I needed something easy to go with steaks I wanted something to grill.
- 2Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2Tbsp flour
- dash of pepper
- 1c. milk
- 1c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt butter. Remove from heat.
- Add flour, salt & pepper, and whisk until a smooth paste is formed.
- Add milk slowly, stirring until smooth.
- Return to heat and cook slowly until thickened
- Remove from heat, and stir in cheese until melted and smooth.
Keep it smooth, in case you didn’t catch that!
Serve over steamed broccoli (my favourite) or cauliflower, or green beans or… any number of vegetables. I think we had it on brussels sprouts once, or else I’m imagining it would be great. You could also thin it a bit and use to top chicken or fish.